The Lily Foundation - one review
by Keya Mukherjee
We are a non-profit philanthropic organization engaged in social service with our head office in Kolkata, West Bengal ,India. Our activities are spread over in many states, districts and villages of
We are one of many thousands of similar organizations who extend their hands of support to the needy. This fact does not make our presence insignificant in any manner because needs always outpace the resources. I think most of us, who are driving the wheel as well as those who are providing the required support, are all driven by the magnetic call of Swami Vivekananda, that our motherland needs little sacrifices till our fellow men are all fed and enlightened. So, here we are - surviving and growing with your support.
Our major thrust area of work is bringing light to the poor and ignorant through gift of education. We also work in the area of healthcare support.
School education is free for all children in the country. Even then there is massive illiteracy. Through our personal involvement and observation we have identified many problem areas such as the following:
· Many poor families often need their children to actively help in bread earning which hinder the growth due to lack of school-training. It is more true for a female child.
· Lucky few who could go to school cannot cope with the studies as parents are unable to give guidance and class teaching is often insufficient.
· In most villages facilities for science and technology education in higher classes are simply not offered.
· Rural children are unaware of the benefits of technical and vocational education that make them self-reliant in job occupation.
· Library facilities are unavailable in most villages.
· No thrust is given to character development or up-bringing of a child to make a good citizen.
And many more.
Our educational projects of pre-primary study homes, primary and secondary coaching centers, scholarships for brilliant students, computer learning centers, vocational training centers are all designed to tackle the above issues and cater to the needs. We consider all these projects are of immense importance and serving the community at length. However, at times we must readjust our priority due to changing circumstances funding being a major determinant. This way, although not savory we had to close down three Study Homes in the recent past.
We conduct periodical health checkup camps for children as well as grown-ups at our different activity centers.
With all your support we will overcome all barriers and become your true link to humanity.